Hands-On Project 12-3: Installing Internet Information Services (IIS)
Time Required: 15 minutes
Objective: Install IIS.
Description: In this activity, you install Microsoft’s IIS Web service and verify functionality of the default Web site created by the installation.
1. Log on to Windows Server 2008.
2. Start Server Manager, click Roles, and click Add Roles. In the Before You Begin window, click Next.
3. In the Select Server Roles window, click the Web Server (IIS) box, and click Next. Read the Web Server (IIS) window, and click Next.
4. In the Application Development section of the Select Role Services window, click CGI, ISAPI Extensions, and ISAPI Filters. In the Security section, check Basic Authentication, Windows Authentication, Digest Authentication, URL Authorization, and IP and Domain Restrictions. Click Next.
5. Click Install. When the installation is complete, click Close, and close Server Manager.
6. Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
7. Expand TEAMXSRV, expand Sites, and click Default Web Site. The screen should look like Figure 12-11. This is the configuration page for the default Web site created by the installation of IIS. Leave this window open.
8. Open Internet Explorer. In the address box, type http://localhost and press Enter. The default Web site’s default home page should appear, as shown in Figure 12-12. Close Internet Explorer.
9. Leave your system running for the next project.